Mendeleev gives The Rangers Friedrich 's expedition funds to the party, as thanks. Hamid talks to a reporter about the events of the day. Sasha finds that the chest contains about 700 gold and a gem that is worth 1,000 gold.
The party considers the best way to get to Paris: a coach to Dover, then either by ship or by underwater train. They head to the bank, and deposit their reward from Mendeleev. Bertie heads to a church to get healed before the party heads back to Hamid's to relax.
They arrive, and Hamid finds his front door open, with Oscar Wilde lounging on a chair. He seems to know the party and their adventures, but he asks about more details of their escapades. Despite Sasha threatening him, and Bertie outrageously flirting with the man, Wilde agrees to have a one-to-one interview with Bertie later that day, handing him his business card. Zolf says he will drown Wilde if he reveals anything that shouldn't be. Wilde boops Zolf on the nose, to which Zolf responds with a headbutt, causing Bertie to punch Zolf in the face, laying him out. Wilde leaves.
After he's gone, Zolf wants to discuss their conduct while at Kew Gardens, and this leads to Zolf and Hamid arguing about the morality of their actions and accepting bribes.
Bertie and Wilde have their 'interview'. The next morning, Bertie returns to Hamid's apartment and they head off to Dover on the train. They head to their own first class compartment. Sasha gets drunk on free wine, before feeling queasy about the motion of the train. The nearer to Dover they get, the worse the weather gets, to the point where Dover is essentially in a storm. The party decide to travel via the Channel Tunnel, rather than a ship. The party heads into the 'Soggy Admiral' establishment, which has many owners of merchant vessels sitting inside, complaining about the Cult of Poseidon. Zolf confronts the merchant owners, who complain that the harbour has been closed for 2 days due to the storm, and that it has been closed regularly over the last month. They start arguing, and Zolf throws a glass of water over the merchant. As Zolf braces, Bertie stands between the two. Zolf explains that they were going to help, and Bertie terrifies the man into submission.
Later, they leave, and Zolf decides to head to the local Temple of Poseidon. There is a mob on the beach being held back by guards, and Hamid catches a glimpse of someone who looks like Barret.
- Zolf: "Mr. Wilde, let me make one thing clear. If anything untoward makes its way into the public eye that we do not want in the public eye, I will drown you in a bucket."
- ―Zolf threatens Wilde.
- Wilde: "So you’re telling me that if a set of strapping bucks and buxom, I want to say, ladies…"
- Sasha: "What? Wait, what? No, no, wait, what?"
- Wilde: "Under all of that, you might be."
- ―Wilde meets the party for the first time
- Sasha: "You can’t just punch your boss because someone flirts with you."
- Zolf: "I’ll let it slide because he [Wilde] did have a really nice bum."
- ―Sasha tells Bertie that he can't punch Zolf.
- "I don’t want any of you dying. You are here because of me. I hired you. I’ve got you involved in this stuff, so I’m responsible for you."
- James: "I'm going to be charming Wilde using- I'm not sure which is the best skill for this, depending on how the evening goes, probably a combination of intimate Knowledge nobility or possibly Ride."
- ―RQG is a family friendly podcast.
Dice rolls and Mechanics
- The party has levelled up to level 3 but any big new abilities won't kick in until they've had a chance to rest.
- Bertie's base attack bonus, Reflex save, and Will save increase by one. He gains the armor training class ability and reduces the armor check penalty of his armour by 1. He takes the feat Cleave, allowing him to attack a second enemy within reach if he hits the first one.
- Hamid's Fortitude and Reflex saves increase by one. His bloodline gives him fire resistance 5 and +1 AC. He learns the spells sleep and mage armor. He takes the feat Spell Focus (enchantment), increasing the save DC for all his enchantment spells by 1.
- Zolf's base attack bonus and Reflex save increase by one. His channel energy goes from 1d6 to 2d6 and he gains access to 2nd level cleric spells. He takes the feat Combat Reflexes, allowing him to take one additional attack of opportunity per round.
- Sasha's base attack bonus, Fortitude save, and Will save increase by one. Her sneak attack damage increases from 1d6 to 2d6 and she gains the trap sense class ability, giving her +1 to Reflex saves and AC against traps. She takes the feat Weapon Focus (dagger), giving her +1 on all attack rolls made with daggers.
- Hamid makes a Diplomacy check: 18
- Sasha makes an Appraise check: 26
- Zolf casts ‘’spark on Wilde's notepad.
- Zolf headbutts Wilde and hits on a 14, dealing 2 damage.
- Bertie punches Zolf and hits on a 19, dealing 3 + 6 nonlethal damage.
- Hamid casts prestidigitation on Bertie
- Sasha takes 20 on getting drunk on free wine.
- Zolf makes a Profession (sailor) check to get around Dover: roll isn't said
- Sasha makes a Knowledge (local) check to get around Dover: roll isn't said
- Everyone makes a Perception check: Sasha's isn't said, Zolf's isn't said, Hamid gets 18, Bertie gets 11
- Bertie makes an Intimidate (+ Pomp and Pageantry) check with Zolf aiding: Bertie gets 23, Zolf gets 9 to aid
- Everyone makes a Perception check: Sasha gets 23, Zolf gets 16, Hamid gets a nat 1, Bertie gets 14